File encryption for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP using the AES algorithm with 128-bit keys.
It combines strong symmetric encryption with compression and double-click editing/viewing.
Encrypted files have a '.AXX' extension added to their names, and are shown with a new icon.
To encrypt a file, right-click it in Windows Explorer and select 'AxCrypt | Encrypt'.
To edit or view an encrypted file - just double-click it.
To decrypt, right-click and select 'AxCrypt | Decrypt' instead.
No configuration is necessary. Run the installer, and AxCrypt is ready to use.
English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian or Swedish will be used for messages and dialogues depending on the language of the system. Documentation and installation scripts are in English.
The following are features that really set it apart from other file encryption tools, commercial as well as free:
- Double-click to edit/view with any application, with automatic re-encryption when done.
- Extensive optional command-line interface for scripting and programming.
- Integrated shredder.
- Use a regular passphrase and/or a strong key-file.
- Self-decrypting files supported.
- 6 languages in one executable distribution.
- No options or user interface - easy to install and use.
- Absolutely no configuration needed - just use it.
- Secure memory handling - no keys or data in the paging file
- Private branding support for commercial or corporate versions.
- Open source under GNU GPL.
See also: open source, script, server, api, multiple backup, encrypt, shell extension, aes, free, encryption, file, gnu, gpl